Hotel Snæfell is a three-story wooden house built in 1908 situated by the mouth of the river "Fjarðará". It has beautiful views over the small bay in the center of town. This natural estuary is home to birdlife, trout and the occasional Atlantic Grey Seal. The house was first used as the local post office and then in 1943 it was turned into a hotel.
Through the years it has played many a role. A shoemaker workshop was there for a few years also the taxi station and a large restaurant. The house also served as a home to several families before becoming a hotel. Among many of the people living there was Ingi T. Lárusson one of Iceland´s foremost composers.
The house was renovated in 2007 and a lot of effort was put in to storing the rooms to their original charm and state. In 2013 three new rooms were added on the ground floor: these rooms are more spacious and modern and therefore we dub them "superior".